MEDIEVAL PROJECT

Help, Releases, Screenshots etc
rSnake
Mapping Robot

MEDIEVAL PROJECT

Post by rSnake » 18 Jan 2011, 14:12

1. A word about the map and its story...

The laboratory complex is still operating. Many years have passed and human learned to time travel safely. Once again a group of brave men will take part in dangerous mission. It is not a test. Not an experiment. We will be sent back in time to save the future. To prevent the evil essence from taking over the world. The year is unknown. Calculations failed. We are in middleage. What avaits us on this journey? Will we be able to win? Will we survive?

The world you are going to visit is full of mysteries and magic considering that the real medieval times as it was, was just boring. You can encounter mystical creatures and monsters, spells, potions, runes and much more. While exploring many different areas, you will be able to fulfil quests for the locals. There also will be a few side-quests which wont be necessary to complete, however they will affect gameplay.

2. Other important informations

The story is split into 7 chapters. Each chapter featuring different locations, difficulty, amount of tasks, amount of gold to collect and so on. However, you will be only able to play 4-5 parts at a time. This is because there are 3 different maps for a part III. This part is optional and players will be able to choose which place they want to visit each time the map is played. How? By accomplishing task for one of three NPCs on part 2. Each of them will grant you access to a different area/map.

On ending of almost every map a boss monster will be placed. Additional to this, you will be able to fight many creatures all around. All of the maps should be detailed as much as possible. Difficulty of course will be set to easy and medium. Some skills like basic strafe jumps will be needed. Like always, some puzzles will require teamwork of at least 2-3 players. Missions in the first two parts will be very easy to encourage unskilled players.

I think no one disagree if i say that this might be the biggest tfc map ever created (if its ever finished lol), not only because of the amount of maps. Weigh of files may be over 150mb!! (now compare it with aztec which is only 53mb).

3. Features

3a. Side-quests
Side quests are specially designed missions. They are medium in difficulty, often located in hard to reach places or hidden passages. Players do NOT need to complete these tasks in case to finish the map. However, doing so, will grant them the ability to: decrease boss power/hp, turn some puzzles to be easier (example; additional bhop platforms or climb edges), obtain items with special abilities or gold coins, create portals connecting them with the future (gives you access to modern weapons).

3b. Gold, Traders and Special Items
As far as i know, i wil be able to create counting system with just entities. (leon didnt like this, disagreed, mumbled some shit and said he might try to code this feature) This would be for gold coins players can collect throughout each map. Collect specifed amount of gold, then bring them to the trader to get your reward. Of course, coins wont be that easy to find, some might be even hidden as secrets to make sure the reward is worth it. Some can be dig out in a cave, if you own a pick or shovel. I will list few proposed items: boots of haste - increased speed when worn (unlimited, unless you die); ultimate health potion - protects you against everything (30sec-1min); angel wings - gravity (unlimited, unless you die, only 1 player could acquire, still not sure about implementing this), invisibility cape - turns you invisible to almost all monsters that use spells (unlimited, unles you die). And a final word, unlimited doesnt mean that everyone will be able to get rewards, most likely only few players at the time the map is played.

3c. Potions
Im not sure about the mana potions, yet im sure about the health ones. They will be available on each map, hidden in some places or buyable via traders. They could be adding temporary health points to a player, later it would drop to the normal hp (just like the food works on rp). Because im not sure what player classes will be available, mana potions could be adding armour points and work same way as health potion. There also will be some runes for mages only, containing offensive spells - but how will they work, it stays under a question sign for now.

3d. Weapons
I cant say much about weapons at the moment. Umbrella, crowbar and knife should be replaced with Dagger, Shortsword and Longsword. Each map could feature different type of weapons like axes or clubs. Medkit would be replaced with vial of lifefluid. All of these weapons, if possible, will have their own sound effects. Now about custom weapons which are just pure plans, it might be not possible to implement them but well... Shotgun could be replaced with a bow/crossbow without shells and different sound. I also had an idea of a spellbook that emit some kind of energy/fire beam but im pretty sure this one is impossible.

3e. Narration and Voice Acting
There will be few cutscenes on some maps. All of them will feature some calm soundtrack and narration, telling the sotry and some useful hints, maybe. We also plan to record some short sentences for the NPCs you will meet on your way like; traders, guardians, quest npcs and maybe for some opponents. They all could use some old words typical for the medieval.

3f. Score System, Inventory and Database (pure plans, might be impossible to implement)
Anyone who played Sveen Coop know how the experience system looks like there. We could use at least few of these features. All of the medieval maps would be connected to one database. This db could store your inventory just like it does on rp map, also; amount of gold coins you have collected, your score, current level and received bonuses. How would the score system work? Your character will receive 'frags' for any completed mission or monster killed, note that bosses will give points to the whole team. These 'frags' will be used as your score. To gain a level you need to collect specifed amount of points, lets say 50 for first level, 100 for second and so on. A message will notify you about the advance. On each advance you can choose from the list one bonus to upgrade your character. Bonuses could be: +1 health point - for example you choose this bonus from 50 to 51 hp, each next time you play the map your health will be at 51; +1 armour point - same as above; health or armor regeneration - random amount of hp or ap regenerated each X seconds, could get more and more frequent if a player add few bonuses of this kind; receive gold or special item - as it says; and maybe more, just depends on what is possible and what not.

3g. Switching the view...
One of the first medieval rp ideas. Third person view could be forced on all of these maps. However, we decided it would be a pain in the ass at some harder jumps or puzzles as well as in really small passages where players have to crouch. If there was a script forcing 1st/3rd person view, few triggers could be placed around small passages to switch the players view when entering the area. But what about lag and compatibility then? Not sure how it'd affect the server...

3h. Classes

Knight
+High hp and armor
+Can use various melee weapons
+Can use all health potions
+2% chance of extra health regeneration
+10% chance of extra armor regeneration
-Slow walking speed

Paladin
+Can heal others with potions
+10% chance of extra health regeneration
+Long distance weapons
-Cant use heavy melee weapons
-Cant use large health potions

Wizard
+Can heal others with potions
+20% chance of extra health regeneration
+Can use spell runes
-Cant use heavy melee weapons
-Cant use large health potions
-Weak hp and armor

Troll
+Fast walking speed
+Heavy Armoured
+5% chance of extra health regeneration
+5% chance of extra armor regeneration
-Can use only claws to fight
-Cant drink any health potions

What else??

-When looking at the glass panel on the mapvote you can see map name and health % and how its progressing, on medieval map this could be used to look up name and hp of your enemy.

4. Enemies and Friends
I'd like to leave this untouched at this point. There are so many possibilities for enemies that i dont really know what to say. Well there will be just regular creatures 'wandering' around but also some huge bosses. Most of the human-like npcs will have some kind of mission for you. Others will just spoil some secrets or a story part. Also, there will be few traders as mentioned above.

5. Current development team

rSnake - project leader, head mapper
N.O.L.F. - main mapper, my right hand lol
leon - coder? (he want to try few things, we havent had enough time to talk everything out since he's busy with university)
leandros - voice actor (need full confirmation too)
Sim - bug fixing and help with strange errors, from now on mapping too, probably some small parts

Awaiting final answer: AbSiNtHbAd - concept art and mapping, tamonte - mapping (author of conc_rubix)

Concerning release date
Impossible to tell it now. It might be this year around the summer if more people will join the dev team. If not, we'll have to drop some ideas and features off.

WE NEED YOU!!!
Please help the project by offering to us even the smallest work you are able to do. We actually need ANYONE, even people who will just give us suggestions, ideas, create overviews for maps and so on! And of course:

- Mappers; just basic knowledge about mapping is enough, you dont need to create huge awesome areas to join the project, it can even be a small cave, room with puzzles or anything!
- Coders; what can i say here? Theyre fucking important...
- Voice Actors; fluent english speaking people might try to record themselves, all the text lines will be given out in time, such voices will be used for NPC talks and narration for cutscenes
- Modellers; we dont need that much, but if someone could make few potion models it'd be great
- Graphics/Concept; wanna draw us some idea for a puzzle or an area? go on show pr0 paint skillz!

***This thread will be updated regularily with news and screenshots, stay tuned!***

3vil-GoOfy
Clan Member

Post by 3vil-GoOfy » 18 Jan 2011, 14:31

You're like a god for TFC.

If you want my help I could to be a beta tester. Then I could suggest fitting music to whatever atmosphere there might be in the map (:
Good one there, %i!
ImageImage

SgT. SaTaN
Pyro

Post by SgT. SaTaN » 18 Jan 2011, 14:42

First of all i want to say great ideas, but ive got some questions:
1 how many parts are already done. (i know some are already done but in beta phase).
2 ive got some ideas but i tell you them later
3 with the classes do you stay that class forever or can you switch classes trewout the map
4 with the different speed amounts between the classes will be everything possible to do, as you mentioned there are parts that need strafing and bhopping skills.
5 how long did it take you to write this post?

hmm thats all for now
but once again great idea hope it will come out realy fast.

mccarf
Welsh

Post by mccarf » 18 Jan 2011, 15:37

THE SPIDER IS CONCING

Mike
Supreme God

Post by Mike » 18 Jan 2011, 16:48

ng

teh ORiON
NO SWAG FGT

Post by teh ORiON » 18 Jan 2011, 16:49

rSnake for president!

rSnake
Mapping Robot

Post by rSnake » 18 Jan 2011, 17:00

3vil-GoOfy wrote:If you want my help I could to be a beta tester.
Sure. Never enough of them. However, i'd like to wait with public tests, a lot of maps are in small pieces now so its boring to test each little thing.
SgT. SaTaN wrote: 1 how many parts are already done. (i know some are already done but in beta phase).
One part is fully finished and playable. It lacks scores, classes set-up and few small things. Also, intro with the whole first part of the map is almost in beta phase too. Other than that we have a lot of small map pieces that need to be put together.
SgT. SaTaN wrote: 2 ive got some ideas but i tell you them later
Post them here too.
SgT. SaTaN wrote: 3 with the classes do you stay that class forever or can you switch classes trewout the map
Most likely you will be able to switch any time.
SgT. SaTaN wrote: 4 with the different speed amounts between the classes will be everything possible to do, as you mentioned there are parts that need strafing and bhopping skills.
The speed is not everything. Difference wont be so big anyway.
SgT. SaTaN wrote: 5 how long did it take you to write this post?
I had this so called 'presentation' in my pocket for a longer period of time now. Date of creation says 18th December 2010. : D

ERROR
Spy

Post by ERROR » 18 Jan 2011, 18:31

WOW really WOW rSnake, that looks so good!
If you mess with me...

Bolleh
Seagull

Post by Bolleh » 18 Jan 2011, 20:34

Looks cool!

I tried some modelling, but it was fucking ages ago :( Can't see the model in-game, and I can't find any tutorials that explains how to properly make a model for HL1

Andy
Best catch of the year

Post by Andy » 18 Jan 2011, 22:13

I can help you with mapping, coding, modelling and the graphics. I can even do some music. hehehe.. but eh.. I don't know. I suck but if you're intrested I can try. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

AbSiNtHbAd
Sniper

Post by AbSiNtHbAd » 18 Jan 2011, 23:24

3vil-GoOfy wrote:You're like a god for TFC.
:!:

Johnny_J
Clan Admin

Post by Johnny_J » 18 Jan 2011, 23:57

leandros
SuperAdmin

Post by leandros » 19 Jan 2011, 00:04

I will not be available until next tuesday, probably wednesday starting tomorrow but I will be happy to participate in voice acting afterwards.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Mike
Supreme God

Post by Mike » 19 Jan 2011, 02:17

leandros wrote:I will not be available until next tuesday, probably wednesday starting tomorrow but I will be happy to participate in voice acting afterwards.
I will also participate, we can be some sort of deadly duo

Bolleh
Seagull

Post by Bolleh » 19 Jan 2011, 04:11

Is this what you had in mind about the potions?

I'm merely testing just for fun, this is the most advanced model I've ever made! I'd be happy to help until someone who can make better looking ones comes along.

Radiance
Clan Member

Post by Radiance » 19 Jan 2011, 04:22

wow! excellent
As the others sat and played in the playroom the guy went into the sauna and shat there. The smell spread to those who played, it was a way of introducing himself the guy said.

Radiance
Clan Member

Post by Radiance » 19 Jan 2011, 04:22

and Bolleh, go to bed!
As the others sat and played in the playroom the guy went into the sauna and shat there. The smell spread to those who played, it was a way of introducing himself the guy said.

Tommi
superspecial tital

Post by Tommi » 19 Jan 2011, 06:45

This is very nice rSnake

Andy
Best catch of the year

Post by Andy » 19 Jan 2011, 10:41

Bolleh wrote:Image

Is this what you had in mind about the potions?

I'm merely testing just for fun, this is the most advanced model I've ever made! I'd be happy to help until someone who can make better looking ones comes along.
That's great. Hey Rsnake, do you have custom models for the player classes? Because I could try and do that.

N.O.L.F.
Clan Member

Post by N.O.L.F. » 19 Jan 2011, 10:51

this is gut :)
-

rSnake
Mapping Robot

Post by rSnake » 19 Jan 2011, 11:51

Salmon, leandros, Mike and Bolleh, welcome to the team :) We have enough of time for this, no rush. Potions are nice, might try with some other textures tho, but thats not really necessary : D
Saludarus wrote:Hey Rsnake, do you have custom models for the player classes? Because I could try and do that.
You could give it a try, i think i have a knight and a bowman somewhere lol, gotta dig em up

I also retextured some shit that could be used instead of crowbar by Troll/Goblin, some claws, maybe you could do better:

And, soemthing more for yall hungry ppl : D

nerdlike
Soldier

Post by nerdlike » 19 Jan 2011, 17:32

NICE

SoDa
Clan Member

Post by SoDa » 19 Jan 2011, 19:03

By far the most amazing map ever done by rSnake.

FANTASTIC.

shaftman
Engi

Post by shaftman » 20 Jan 2011, 14:42

nicely done rsnake for your efforts you get a 1 up

ERROR
Spy

Post by ERROR » 20 Jan 2011, 18:44

Are you going to put some goofs in this map?
If you mess with me...

N.O.L.F.
Clan Member

Post by N.O.L.F. » 21 Jan 2011, 13:38

ERROR wrote:Are you going to put some goofs in this map?
there are some on my part yet, yep :)
-

rSnake
Mapping Robot

Post by rSnake » 24 Jan 2011, 16:34

If someone would like to map some part even something small, here is the list of available/reserved areas:

Catacombs - Size: medium - Task: yes - Reserved by Sim
Ice Caves - Size: medium - Task: yes - Available
Wolf Cave - Size: medium (lets say 2-3 dead-end ways) - Task: no - Available
House Basement - Size: medium (3-5 rooms and corridors) - Task: no - Available
Inside the Castle - Size: medium (castles square, some corridors and rooms) - Task: no - Available
Rotating Stairs - Size: medium (castle, working same way as militia_beta uranium core sticks) - Task: yes - Available

3 Puzzle areas to map are available for the Frozen part, mostly located in cold ice caves (may include some special rooms made out of frozen bricks).

3 Puzzle areas to map are available for the Cliffs part, located in dirty/dusty caves (may include some dwarf technology like rotating wooden bridges or cranes).

There might be more but i cant actually think of anything, so try to be
creative. You want to try but looking for textures? PM me!

List of models, if someone would be interested to make one, there it is:

Health Potion - good start there Bolleh, just need some finishing touches and maybe different texture.

Mana Potion - blue/purple

Gold Coins - a pile of few/several gold pieces

Weapons - wooden club with spikes, some kind of rod/wand might be a long stick with a shining tip with kind of some shape idk lol

Boots with small white wings - special item, increasing your speed

There might be more but i cant actually think of anything, so try to be
creative.

leon
Donator

Post by leon » 24 Jan 2011, 16:57

looks sweet man but i definately wont have time to code anything for this until july, and even then i dunno. BUT if anyone wants to try it i will be happy to help just PM me for my msn. its pretty easy to learn tbh; if youve ever programmed before then its a peice of cake, if not then you can still learn, watch is testament to that.
shayla: at a gun range you use a sniper to snip out bad dudes but the range
shayla: but he snip out some civliens for hes range hes got for some kind of manny.ack comes and kill the snipe
shayla: he dident hear him once he was very stelf but he use hes range for a head shot and kill some civlien
shayla: its no resons for a range it said you will die to death and never come alive for sunkist
shayla: only cause the guy with the sniper rifle save the guy with the sniper
shayla: yhe had sunkist on the tabble he said yummmmmmm and it blowed a tnt in hes moth he got blowed up

craterboy
I love /d/

Post by craterboy » 24 Jan 2011, 18:16

If you need help with coding a plugin for this project, I could try it. But don´t expect anything special from me.

Andy
Best catch of the year

Post by Andy » 25 Jan 2011, 10:27

I know some coding and if it's that important I can try some easier assignments.

Ill also see if I can help you out with those models. :D

Radiance
Clan Member

Post by Radiance » 25 Jan 2011, 18:00

guys.. saludarus just pmed me saying all of our mothers are sluts and cunts.. ban from forum??

Andy
Best catch of the year

Post by Andy » 26 Jan 2011, 16:23

just your mother.

watch
Recovering from RWI

Post by watch » 27 Jan 2011, 13:13

lukss vry nicccce! I'd love to offer help, but I invariably run out of free time.

What sort of stuff are you planning to code? I can give advice if you want to know the best way to achieve something. PM me if you require my email address. I don't check the forums very often
If you hate the obnoxious signatures goto your User Control Panel and disable signatures

rSnake
Mapping Robot

Post by rSnake » 06 Feb 2011, 12:34

I have some more free time now so i could sit and learn some. I will soon write few PMs. The project is progressing really slowly and i am not in a hurry with it.

rSnake
Mapping Robot

Post by rSnake » 16 Mar 2011, 13:40

Small update:

Managed XP system to work with tfc but it still has quite a few bugs, for example i need to specify tfc ammo and weapons uhh and solve the problem with hp regeneration; if you have over 100hp (or 50 as civ hmm i havent checked yet) and you take a bag that someone has just dropped on death your hp will be set back to 100 ;/ Oh yeh lets welcome custom weapon models. And no, this menu doesnt work yet, im so noob @coding all ive done was just this menu mask -.-'

Death... fade+msg+sound... wow ;s

So this is.. it... bonuses. You can solve some puzzles, tasks etc etc and get points (frags) [the problem is i cant find any way to give frags to players for killing enemies i mean func_breakables, or gran points to whole team, any ideas?], each frag is counted *30~ points or something, if you gain enough - you lvl up. On each lvl you can choose one of these abilities:

1. Strength - the more skill points you put on this option, the more hp you will have at start (or regenerate to this limit)
2. Superior Armor - same as above but for armor
3. Health Regeneration - how fast your hp is regenerating
4. Nano Armor - how fast your ap is regenerating
5. Ammo Reincarnation - how often you receive random (or to weapon you are currently holding) ammo (not working yet)
6. Anti Gravity Device - lowers your gravity
7. Awareness - affecting all the other skills (pumping them up a lil bit)
8. Team Power - skills of your nearby teammates are pumped up
9. Block Attack - the more points you put on this option, the less damage % you will receive, on skill 90 you can sometimes fully block an attack

Thats all folks

N.O.L.F.
Clan Member

Post by N.O.L.F. » 16 Mar 2011, 13:48

cool!
-

nerdlike
Soldier

Post by nerdlike » 16 Mar 2011, 18:53

this looks so great. very nice job looking forward to BETA TESTING 8) 8) 8)

pizzahut
Demo

Post by pizzahut » 16 Mar 2011, 20:15

rSnake wrote:the problem is i cant find any way to give frags to players for killing enemies i mean func_breakables, or gran points to whole team, any ideas?
I would ask in the AMXX forum, some ideas anyway:

There's an entity property EV_FL_frags which I assume contains the points of a player - although I'm confused why it's floating point. You can use entity_set_float to change it.

I'm not sure how to detect a "kill" of a thing (rather than a person), however there's a chance that the damage can be detected. Here's a sample plugin for bullet damage only, the parameters for registering the event will probably differ for your purpose.

General syntax of register_event and read_data. Judging by the bullet damage plugin, you can read three integer parameters through read_data. At least the amount of parameters can be determined with read_datanum, but not the type (int, string, float).

In the bullet plugin, vIndex is the entity number of what is damaged (the target), aIndex is the player who is attacking. Damage amount is apparently contained in the third parameter (read_data(2) - assuming the index starts with zero).

If the damage is equal or higher than the target's health (assuming breakable entities have such a thing), then it's a kill. The property is EV_FL_health.

I've only done basic stuff with AMXX, so probably there's a much easier way I'm not aware of.

PizzaSupreme
Sniper

Post by PizzaSupreme » 17 Mar 2011, 03:21

"Anti Gravity Device" - Really? Fully upgrading this could ruin some puzzles that require jumping, bhopping, etc...

Looking good though, I might be able to map for this if you want.

Hopeapullaaaa
Engi

Post by Hopeapullaaaa » 17 Mar 2011, 20:44

PizzaSupreme wrote:"Anti Gravity Device" - Really? Fully upgrading this could ruin some puzzles that require jumping, bhopping, etc...

Looking good though, I might be able to map for this if you want.
Assuming jumps aren't flat out impossible without points in anti gravity, I'd imagine people will put points in there according to their abilities. That is, better strafers will want less points while worse might want more. As a result everyone could adjust the jumps' difficulty according to their own capabilities, instead of having a server full of people who can't jump 220 units waiting for someone to come so they can progress.
[spoiler]but i guess your average fm player will max it either way[/spoiler]