Server not restarting

Questions and suggestions
N.O.L.F.
Clan Member

Server not restarting

Post by N.O.L.F. » 08 Jul 2011, 00:06

I dunno why, but server seems to be down quite often now. it doesent restart after crashing, too. (sectore crashes it pretty often right at the beginning rsnake)
-

Tommi
superspecial tital

Post by Tommi » 08 Jul 2011, 00:09

Yeah, especially sectore seems to crash the server. My guess is, that at the beginning, when a lot of people are connecting into the server, it overloads it since AFAIK the update rate on the current server Zulander uses isn't as good as it was on the previous one.

E: And indeed, the server doesn't seem to restart by itself anymore.

Zulander
Clan Member

Post by Zulander » 08 Jul 2011, 12:25

The server is the same box and same version of Fedora linux. My guess is the map and or plugins are causing the crash. It is crashing the same way it did with that stupid roleplaying map - the server crashes and zombies which is why it never restarts because according to the script, the process it still running.

This requires someone to log in, look up the process, kill it, and then wait for the 10 second timer to restart it.

I have removed sectore from the mapvote.
Void me being an anxious whim.

N.O.L.F.
Clan Member

Post by N.O.L.F. » 08 Jul 2011, 13:22

ohh snap rsnake :cry: :cry: :cry:
-

teh ORiON
NO SWAG FGT

Post by teh ORiON » 12 Jul 2011, 20:28

I doubt it's a problem with the map, sectorE, since there seems to be problems on other maps as well. Huge startup lag are experienced on several other maps, when the server has changed to a new map and people are connecting, the duration of the lag is around <5min, but varies alot.

SectorE still being a fairly new map, means that some still has to download the map, and in the process overload the server somehow?

I don't recall there being problems like this in the beginning of the new server, something else must be causing it, like a plugin maybe.

rSnake
Mapping Robot

Post by rSnake » 12 Jul 2011, 20:31

The first two weeks there was no problems with the map. I dont think it is the map itself causing the crash, more like high amount of people trying to download it at same time from the server, however, it would happen with some other maps too right?

This map has a pretty high amount of ents. Maybe someone could give it a try and disable a few plugins for it?
If its proven that the map itself is crashing due to some bug in it, it will be fine for me that its deleted. I dont feel like spending another 1,5 month on a new map which will later be deleted without a known reason.

Zulander
Clan Member

Post by Zulander » 12 Jul 2011, 23:27

We love your maps.

I didn't delete anything, I just removed it from the mapvote till this gets solved. You are one of the few tfc mappers left and we are always hungry for more. I think it is a plugin/ent problem myself but I have no idea how to fix it. That is watch's department.

Since nothing has happened till this point I suppose we need to wait for watch or someone to find out what the problem is.

craterboy
I love /d/

Post by craterboy » 14 Jul 2011, 13:55

I have tested a huge part of the map with Sabinette and it didn't crash. Maybe it needs more people till it crashes, but I don't think it will crash.

EDIT:

We have finished this map with 10 players and it didn't crash. So we have activated the map again.
Sorry for this problem RSnake. Hope this won't happen again.

watch
Recovering from RWI

Post by watch » 16 Jul 2011, 00:17

I will have a gander at this in the next few days
If you hate the obnoxious signatures goto your User Control Panel and disable signatures

pizzahut
Demo

Post by pizzahut » 26 Sep 2011, 03:06

Sorry for bumping an old thread, it's related though.
Zulander wrote:the server crashes and zombies which is why it never restarts because according to the script, the process it still running.

This requires someone to log in, look up the process, kill it, and then wait for the 10 second timer to restart it.
The server's down since a couple of hours, are you still using a process based script? When I query your server using qstat it says

~/qstat2/qstat -nh -a2s 89.27.48.17:27015

89.27.48.17:27015 no response

Thing is, sometimes qstat will return "DOWN" instead of "no response", which I've told watch in May, so if you're using my script (which is NOT process based), you need to fix it accordingly.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1379885

Today's server down time might have other reasons though.

leandros
SuperAdmin

Post by leandros » 26 Sep 2011, 10:12

It did, either the box or the connection died because we couldn't SSH in to fix it.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Zulander
Clan Member

Post by Zulander » 26 Sep 2011, 11:53

leandros wrote:It did, either the box or the connection died because we couldn't SSH in to fix it.
At about 11PM Finnish time last night, the internet line to the office was down because of a mistake made by some nearby road work (cut the line with a backhoe). It was fixed this morning.