[Tutorial] Make a playable tfc map

Help, Releases, Screenshots etc
Andy
Best catch of the year

[Tutorial] Make a playable tfc map

Post by Andy » 27 Jan 2019, 17:22

How much work do you have to do before having a simple playable tfc map?
Since TFC uses unique entities such as info_tfdetect and info_player_teamspawn it requires a different setup than other goldsrc games. Because of this and the lack of documentation for tfc, I thought it should be covered. This tutorial goes over everything you need to do in order to successfully compile and play a tfc map.

First, you need an editor and a compiler. I recommend you follow these two guides by watch which will help you install and configure both:
[Tutorial] Creating Maps: Part 1 - Editor Setup
[Tutorial] Creating Maps: Part 2 - Compiler Setup
It will take maybe 10-20 minutes to go through them.
You'll also need at least a somewhat general idea of how to use the editor to follow this tutorial.

1) Brushwork - Making a box
You can't have a map without brushes. These are used to make the geometry of your map, the ground, the walls, all that stuff. The most basic starting room we can do is a box. Your map won't compile if it has leaks, this is avoided by enclosing the playing area completely with brushes. This is why we make a box and not just something like a flat plain.
Create a new block with a large enough size, 256x256 is good. Right click select > Make hollow > -32. You now have a box.

2) info_tfdetect - Setting up your team configuration
We need to configure which teams and classes are allowed to spawn. This will also make things easier right away, avoiding unnecessary bugs, crashes and gameplay issues.
Create a new point entity > Select info_tfdetect. Remember to place this and everything else inside the box to prevent leaks.

* Amount of teams
In Properties > Attributes > No. of teams- for teamcheck only > write the amount of teams you want for your map. Highest is 4.

* Team names
Attributes > Team 1 VGUI menu name > Name. Do this for all the teams available. You can leave these blank if you want the default team names.

* Playable classes
Do you want civilians only?
Attributes > Blue class limits toggleflags > Civilian only
Do you want a team with only some available classes?
You see in the list the different classes and a number associated with them.
The list only gives us choices to remove one class, not multiple. To remove multiple classes you need to add the sum of their associated values. Lets say we want a team with only scouts and medics:
2 + 4 + 8 + 32 + 64 + 128 + 256 + 512 = 1006 (notice we do not add scout/1 or medic/16).
Attributes > Blue class limits toggleflags > 1006

* Max players
You can set a maximum amount of players permitted on any team. This could be used to make a hide and seek or hunted game mode. I will leave mine at 0 - unlimited.

* Allies
Unless you want teams to kill each other, you must set allies in properties. If you want 4 allied teams you add the sum of all teams.

3) info_player_teamspawn - Spawn the players
Players need somewhere to start. Create a new point entity > Select info_player_teamspawn. Put this where you want the players to start. Spawn points can't be put down too low either. This can cause the player to spawn with his lower body stuck in the floor. 8-16 units above the ground is good placement.

* Team spawn
In Properties > Attributes > Team allowed to spawn here > select team
If you have multiple teams you also need multiple teamspawns, two teams can not use the same spawn. Remember that you can copy (ctrl+c) the object and place (ctrl+v) multiple spawns around each other to prevent spawnfraging. The player collision size is larger than the teamspawn entity.

To avoid more potential spawnfraging you should keep a slight distance between spawns.

4) Lightning
Without a light source your map will be completely dark. There's many different lighting entities to choose from. Light_surface is a great addition you can get from implementing Vluzacn compile tools, RSnake tells you all need to know about that here: [UPDATED] Vluzacn Tools VHLT 34

Lets look at the regular light entity. you can create one and set it in the middle of your room and you're basically done adding a light source since it's already configured.
* Brightness / Color
To set new light color and brightness intensity go into Properties > Attributes > Brightness > the first 3 values are rgb values and is more easily set in the color selector. The last value is by default 200, this is the brightness value.

Another way to brighten up a map is by adding sky. First add a light_environment anywhere in the box, it doesn't matter where.
Select the box > ungroup (this is so we can select individual brushes). select the ceiling/roof > select the texture application > browse textures and find sky > select sky and apply it.

5) Export, Compile, and Play
When you're happy with your starting room you should try it. Go to File > Export > write map name. Go to Compiler > open .map file you just saved > Compile. If everything worked it should now be ready to play.

6) Optional stuff
* Map properties / worldspawn
Go to Map > Map properties. In here you can change the sky. You'll find different sky boxes in tfc/gfx/env/ or tfcdownloads/gfx/env. These are saved as .tga files and can be viewed in a program like photoshop or gimp.
Example: Map properties > Environmental map (sky box) > avanti.
You should also change the view distance, ideally set it to something high like 99999.

* info_player_start - Set map view
This entity shows the map view. This is the view the player have of the map before they've joined a team. This entity is non-essential but good to include. If it's left out the map view will be positioned at 0,0,0 in world space by default.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Andy
Best catch of the year

Re: [Tutorial] Make a playable tfc map

Post by Andy » 28 Jan 2019, 09:13

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

FaLcoRnyy
Sweetish

Post by FaLcoRnyy » 28 Jan 2019, 16:17

I read this post during the lunchbreak. pretty interesting content i'd say. This will be my go-to if i ever will start mapping.

Great effort and thanks for taking your time making it!
>tfw no bbcode
[flac]Despairingface.pdf[/flac]

▲ ▲

teh ORiON
NO SWAG FGT

Post by teh ORiON » 28 Jan 2019, 17:43

FaLcoRnyy wrote:
28 Jan 2019, 16:17
I read this post during the lunchbreak. pretty interesting content i'd say. This will be my go-to if i ever will start mapping.

Great effort and thanks for taking your time making it!
Falco confirmed as new mapper of 2019.
ORiON....w h e r e . t h e . s t a r s . c o m e . o u t . a t . n i g h t !....

FaLcoRnyy
Sweetish

Post by FaLcoRnyy » 28 Jan 2019, 19:12

Delicious... new... map...
>tfw no bbcode
[flac]Despairingface.pdf[/flac]

▲ ▲

Poubi
Clan Member

Post by Poubi » 01 Feb 2019, 08:35